Re: upcr checkin: Complete runtime coding portion of bug #607.

From: Dan Bonachea (bonachea_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 19:09:42 PDT

    At 02:55 PM 8/4/2004, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
    >To repeat: we've managed to change over w/o breaking any old translators
    >and/or .trans.c files that may be laying around.

    To clarify, we *have* broken compatibility in the way most current users are
    likely to encounter, people with old *runtimes* (including the current stable
    snapshot) - starting tonight, if those people compile with upcc -nightly,
    they'll see this error:

    upcc: error during UPC-to-C translation (sgiupc stage):
    ### Compiler Error during Front End Driver phase:
    ### UPC runtime too old (provides interface 2.2: translator needs 2.3).

    Please download a newer version of the UPC runtime from http://upc.lbl.gov/

    sgiupc INTERNAL
    ERROR:
    /home/pcp1/bonachea/UPC/compilers/open64/osprey1.0/targia32_ia64_nodebug/gccfe/gfec
    returned non-zero status 1

    This message is currently a lie (because the runtime snapshots available for
    download on the webpage are all also too old), but that's OK because we'll
    soon be publishing the new release. In the meantime (ie until the release this
    weekend), current users should use upcc -stable and not -nightly.

    Dan