whirl2c

From: Marc Gonzalez-Sigler ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 02:00:20 PST

    Hello,

    I've been asked to make Open64's whirl2c and whirl2f work reliably
    enough that it is possible to:

    1. Translate SPECfp2000 source code into WHIRL
    2. Apply preopt and LNO
    3. Regenerate source code
    4. Compile with GCC on amd64 or i386

    Costin Iancu said:

       Roy Ju from Intel mentioned some time ago that they might have
       a cleaned up version of whirl2c that works well. I do not think
       it made it into the ORC release.

    Has there been any news of this version?

    Greg Lindahl said you (LBL+UCB) had already made many improvements to
    SGI's whirl2c. I checked wn2c.cxx but I am not familiar enough yet with
    the code to understand the improvements.

    I downloaded berkeley_upc_translator-2.0.1.tar.gz and compiled it on
    Linux/i386 with GCC 3.2.2

    Is your whirl2c supposed to work with WHIRL files produced by ORC 2.1?
    (Perhaps my environment is not set up correctly.)

    $ cat testcase.c
    struct foo { int x; int y[3]; } bar;

    int main(void)
    {
       bar.y[1] = 666666;
       return 0;
    }

    $ orcc -fe -keep testcase.c

    $ upc_whirl2c testcase.B

    ### Assertion failure at line 932 of ../../be/whirl2c/ty2c.cxx:
    ### Compiler Error in file testcase.c during Post LNO Processing phase:
    ### Unexpected TY_kind (0) in TY2C_translate()

    Did you modify the WHIRL?

    On a related subject, can I simply feed pre-processed C the gfec binary
    to produce a WHIRL file, and then use ORC's preopt and LNO?

    --
    Regards, Marc