Re: Berkeley UPC XT3 support

From: Dan Bonachea (bonachea_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 13:24:20 PDT

    At 10:12 AM 9/13/2005, Adrian Powell wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >      I noticed in the 2.2.0 ChangeLog that it says to get in touch with you
    > all for XT3
    >queries....    What's the deal with XT3 support ?.

    Hi Adrian -

       The reason we don't directly encourage users to try BUPC 2.2 on XT3 is that
    our XT3 port is brand-new and all we've done so far is a "phase 1" port, where
    all UPC communication on that machine is performed using calls to an MPI-based
    compatibility layer. Consequently, the communication performance for BUPC
    programs on XT3 is currently somewhat worse than can be achieved by writing
    applications directly in MPI. However, we've recently opened a contract with
    Cray to do a "native" GASNet implementation on XT3, which will allow us to
    bypass the MPI layer and deliver communication performance for UPC programs
    comparable to (or hopefully even superior to) programs written directly for
    MPI. That support will likely be included in the next release.

       So basically we want to ensure any Berkeley UPC users trying out the XT3
    understand that our XT3 support is still very much a "work-in-progress" and
    doesn't yet deliver the performance we expect to eventually provide on the
    XT3. This is mostly just an attempt to head off any potential for unfair
    performance comparisons by outside groups who may "discover" that BUPC on XT3
    doesn't currently deliver the peak network performance.

       Provided you understand all this and are still interested in trying out the
    initial XT3 port, I can send you the additional file (not included in the
    distribution) that you'll need to do the build.

    Dan