Re: Installation

From: Eric Frederich (eric.frederich_at_gmail_dot_com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 13:45:33 PST

    Okay,

    So as for the remote nodes, as long as they have ssh running, have access to
    the executable and data, and have the same version of the C libraries
    installed they should be good to go and they don't need any UPC installed on
    them?
    These C files that result from running upcc do not link against any kind of
    UPC library?

    I appreciate your fast responses.

    As for me being new to parallel processing, I do have a bachelors degree in
    Computer Science. I was not trained in any form or parallel processing
    during my education except very primitive forms of semaphores in my
    operating systems class. I decided to take a course in parallel processing
    since that is where I see things going especially now with dual core and
    hyperthreading processors. As a result of taking the class I have played
    around with MPI a little bit. I just saw that Sun as come out with an 8 core
    processor capable of having 4 concurrent threads per core for a total of 32
    threads. I just want to be able to make use of the new technology as it
    comes out.

    I am basically trying to get UPC up and running and do some basic
    benchmarking. I was thinking of writing a good solution for an
    embarrassingly parallel problem, and then write a poor solution for the same
    problem. This poor solution would be the same program except that it would
    work on data for which is did not have affinity. Something like the
    following....

    good solution...
    for(i = MY_THREAD ; i < n ; i += THREADS){...}
    bas solution...
    for(i = MY_THREAD + 1 ; i < n ; i += THREADS){...}

    I have read through a little bit of a book on UPC and find it quite
    interesting. I really like the idea of not having to set up send and recieve
    buffers and explicitly send data from one processing node to another. I hope
    that UPC matures past it's "researchy"ness as you put it because I find it
    quite nice (on paper at least so far).

    Hopefully I have enough information to get something up and running this
    weekend on my network at home.

    Lets say I do get something up and running. If I have a node that has
    hyperthreading, is there a way to tell UPC to sent it twice as many
    processes as the other nodes? Would just listing that node twice in the list
    of hosts work?

    Thanks,
    ~Eric

    --