problems running UPC programs

From: Eric Frederich (eric.frederich_at_gmail_dot_com)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 07:21:34 PST

    Hello,

    This is probably a minor configuration issue. I was able to build UPC. I
    disabled MPI since I do not have it installed and I enabled pthreads. I have
    yet to install it. After it was built, I made a hello world program and ran
    it with "./upcrun -n 5 -localhost hello" and it worked as expected.
    I am having trouble now trying to run it on a remote computer. I made a file
    /home/eric/upchosts which has 192.168.1.207 <http://192.168.1.207> on one
    line and 192.168.1.208 <http://192.168.1.208> on the next line. Then I did
    "export UPC_NODEFILE=/home/eric/upchosts".
    When I run "./upcrun -n 2 hello" I get the following error...

    $ ./upcrun -n 2 hello
    AMUDP sendPacket returning an error code: AM_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem with
    requested resource)
    from function sendPacket
    at /home/eric/UPC/berkeley_upc-2.2.1/gasnet/other/amudp/amudp_reqrep.cpp:93
    reason: Invalid argument
    AMUDP AMUDP_RequestGeneric returning an error code: AM_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem
    with requested resource)
    at /home/eric/UPC/berkeley_upc-2.2.1
    /gasnet/other/amudp/amudp_reqrep.cpp:1200

    GASNet gasnetc_AMRequestShortM encountered an AM Error: AM_ERR_RESOURCE(3)
    at /home/eric/UPC/berkeley_upc-2.2.1/gasnet/udp-conduit/gasnet_core.c:564
    GASNet gasnetc_AMRequestShortM returning an error code: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE
    (Problem with requested resource)
    at /home/eric/UPC/berkeley_upc-2.2.1/gasnet/udp-conduit/gasnet_core.c:568
    *** FATAL ERROR:
    GASNet encountered an error: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE(3)
    while calling: gasnet_AMRequestShort4(peer,
    gasneti_handleridx(gasnete_ambarrier_notify_reqh), phase, 0, id, flags)
    at gasnete_barrier_notify() at /home/eric/UPC/berkeley_upc-2.2.1
    /gasnet/extended-ref/gasnet_extended_refbarrier.c:197
    *** Caught a fatal signal: SIGABRT(6) on node 1/2

    It is intersting to note that when the upchostsfile looks like

    192.168.1.207 <http://192.168.1.207>
    192.168.1.207 <http://192.168.1.207>
    192.168.1.208 <http://192.168.1.208>

    and I run it with -n 2 it works fine and I see the following

    UPCR: UPC thread 0 of 2 on penguin27 (process 0 of 2, pid=12356)
    UPCR: UPC thread 1 of 2 on penguin27 (process 1 of 2, pid=12357)
    Hello World from thread 1 of 2
    Hello World from thread 0 of 2

    Also when I have the file say

    192.168.1.208 <http://192.168.1.208>
    192.168.1.208 <http://192.168.1.208>
    192.168.1.207 <http://192.168.1.207>

    it works fine too and I see the following

    UPCR: UPC thread 0 of 2 on myth (process 0 of 2, pid=10447)
    UPCR: UPC thread 1 of 2 on myth (process 1 of 2, pid=10446)
    Hello World
    Hello World

    So it is actually starting remote processes and comes back with the name of
    the machine even though I specified the IP address.

    Any ideas why I can create multiple threads on local host, I can create
    multiple threads on a remote host, but I can't create one on each?

    Thanks,
    ~Eric