Re: heterogenous..

From: Jason Duell (jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 10:21:44 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 03:38:33PM +0530, Dinesh Kumar wrote:
    > hi,
    >  I am interested in distributing a database over several platforms(i.e.,one
    > system may run windows and other may run linux).Does UPC useful in anyway
    > for the abovesaid purpose?Does UPC support heterogenous environment?

    While UPC is not inherently unheteregeneous, in practice I believe that no
    existing implementations support a heterogenous environment (beyond minor
    differences, such as slightly differing versions of the same Operating system,
    or different revisions of an x86 chip, etc).

    You probably want some sort of tool that is built with heterogeneity in mind,
    such as an RPC mechanism, or one of the numerous XML network technologies.

    Good luck,

    --
    Jason Duell             Future Technologies Group
    <jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov>       Computational Research Division