Re: upc_all_gather algorithm ...

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 10:52:30 PST

    Konstantin Kleisouris wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >   Does anyone know what algorithm is used for the implementation of
    >upc_all_gather?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Kosta

    Kosta,

      The current gather algorithm is a "flat tree" topology with all data
    being sent by the source threads to the destination thread.  Depending
    on the SYNC flags and size of the data, a few different mechanisms may
    be used to move the data (message-send, RDMA-put, Rendezous-RDMA-put).
    If you want or need more detail, let me know.
      The current implementations of the UPC collectives in the Berkeley UPC
    compiler were written to be correct, but little effort was given to
    making them the most efficient or most scalable.  Work is in progress
    right now to rewrite the collectives for efficiency and scalability.  We
    hope to offer much improved UPC collectives performance in a future release.

    -Paul

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group