UPC Runtime error: out of shared memory

From: Alexander Brugh (abrugh_at_lanl_dot_gov)
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 09:47:43 PDT

    I'm having some trouble running a program on my machines when I scale-up
    the size of some global arrays.  I've done what I consider to be a fair
    amount of googling for this problem, but if I overlooked a posted
    solution, please feel free to point it out.

    I'm compiling with upcc v. 2.4.0 on a couple of different machines:
    -Dual G5 tower with 2.5GB of ram, OS X 10.4
    -Dual Core 2 Duo laptop with 2GB of ram, Ubuntu Linux

    Eventually I'll be trying to run this program on a real cluster which
    also has upcc v. 2.4.0.

    When I run on my development machines, I get the following error:

    UPCR: UPC threads 0..1 of 2 on hollywood (process 0 of 1, pid=5138)
    UPC Runtime error: out of shared memory
      Local shared memory in use:   578 MB per-thread,  1156 MB total
      Global shared memory in use:   15 MB per-thread,    30 MB total
      Total shared memory limit:    600 MB per-thread,  1200 MB total
    upc_global_alloc unable to service request from thread 1 for 8003584
    more bytes

    This was compiled with the following:

    upcc -pthreads -T 2 --shared-heap=600  upctest.c

    I set the shared heap to 600 in a failed attempt to get more Global
    shared memory.  I friend of mine suggested I try over subscribing the
    number of threads used, with the thought that I could get 15MB per
    thread.  It wouldn't be a fast solution but it might have worked,
    instead the 30MB of global shared memory is just divided smaller amongst
    the threads.

    I can't seem to find a compiler option or upcrun option to get more
    global shared memory.

    This is my first shot at writing some UPC so if there's an obvious
    mistake staring me in the face, I'd appreciate the help in seeing it.

    Thanks,
    Alex Brugh