UPC cross-compiler for unknown platform

From: George Caragea (george_at_east_dot_isi_dot_edu)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 11:28:29 PDT

    Hi all,

    I am trying to port UPC to a new platform that we are using for research
    purposes. We have a gcc-compliant compiler for the platform, and pthread
    library, so I was trying to port using the smp conduit.

    However, we cannot compile the UPC runtime on the platform itself, so I
    was trying to use UPC to do a cross-compilation.

    First I tried just changing the compiler path, to use our compiler, but
    'configure' fails when I try this, and I couldn't figure out a way to
    make it work:

    $ ./configure --enable-pthreads --disable-udp --disable-mpi
    CC='/path_to_our_compiler/cc'
    checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    [...]
    checking for gcc... /path_to_our_compiler/cc
    checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
    compiled programs.
    If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

    I tried using the 'host' and 'target' options, but since our
    architecture is not supported by the GNU tools, it doesn't accept it.

    I saw that in the README files of both UPC and GASNet, there is a
    paragraph related to cross-compilation, which refers to the file
    'gasnet/other/cross-configure-help.c'. However, I could not find this
    file in berkeley-upc-2.6.0, or 2.4.0. Is there any plan to provide such
    a file, even for experimental purposes?

    If anyone has any ideas/advice on how to proceed with the
    cross-compilation approach, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    George