Re: implementing new GASNet conduit: gasnetc_bootstrapExchange

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 12:31:27 PDT

    George,

       The gasnetc_bootstrap*() routines are used to perform collective-type
    operations at startup time for such things as communicating the segment
    address and lengths.  These are for *interal* use and not documented in the
    specification.  The implementations don't need to be high performance because
    they are used only for startup and/or shutdown code.
       You will find that the gasnetc_boostrap*() functions are implemented in
    terms of MPI calls in the file
    gasnet/other/mpi-spawner/gasnet_bootstrap_mpi.c.  Assuming that you know MPI
    (or have access to the MPI spec) that is probably the most formal definition
    available of these functions.
       Note that bootstrapAlltoAll defined in gasnet_bootstrap_mpi.c is currently
    only used in the vapi-conduit code, and is not required otherwise.  SImilarly,
    the bootstrapInit and bootstrapFini defined there are useful only if one is
    using mpirun to spawn GASNet jobs.

       Let us know if you have any more questions.

    -Paul

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group