Re: thread safety of UPC memory copy library funtions

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 16:49:47 PST

    Lingyuan,

      The only efforts I am aware of to layer threads on top of UPC have
    been analogous to MPI_THREAD_FUNNELLED, in which one is permitted to
    have multiple threads running but only one representative thread is
    permitted to call (even implicitly) any code in the UPC runtime
    library.  If there is anybody on this list with success with any other
    ways to mix threads with UPC, I'd be interested to learn about it.

      The Berkeley UPC runtime and GASNet communication runtime libraries
    are built in both thread-safe ("par") and non thread-safe ("seq")
    configurations.  If one passes -pthreads to the upcc command, then the
    thread-safe version is linked, and otherwise the non thread-safe version
    is used.  My initial guess is that your segmentation fault is related to
    use of the non thread-safe libraries.  That can be resolved  by passing
    -pthreads=1 to upcc.  This will ensure that the thread-safe libraries
    are linked, but will run with one UPC thread per process.  However, that
    is probably not enough... read on.

       I cannot be certain that a hybrid UPC+pthreads program as you
    describe will work.  The reason I am uncertain is that thread-safe
    versions of both the UPC and GASNet runtime libraries make use of
    thread-specific data.  For instance if you try to reference the UPC
    built-in "MYTHREAD" from a pthread that you have spawned it will almost
    certainly fail because in the thread-safe library it is implemented via
    thread-specific data that has only been allocated/initialized for the
    thread(s) that the UPC runtime has spawned.  So, it appears you would
    require a runtime configuration that provides for the thread safe
    invocation of UPC built-ins but without assigning each thread an
    individual UPC-level identity.  Unfortunately, we have not implemented
    such a configuration.  I don't have any immediate estimate of what
    effort would be required, but for our support of the TotalView debugger
    we did implement a mode in which there is a single UPC thread per
    process plus a non-UPC thread to ensure remote accesses could progress
    even when the debugger had frozen the UPC thread.  That work means that
    within the UPC runtime there is already a separation of thread-safety
    into two distinct parts:
       UPCRI_SUPPORT_PTHREADS - the UPC runtime is thread-safe (to at least
    the extent needed for the TotalView support) and calls thread-safe GASNet
       UPCRI_UPC_PTHREADS - UPC threads are implemented as multiple pthreads
    per process.

    I suspect, but cannot verify, that linking in the libraries intended for
    TotalView support will get you most of the way to what you appear to
    need.  For instance, I believe (with 90%+ certainty) that MYTHREAD will
    not utilize thread-specific data in the "tv" version of libupcr.    If
    you are lucky the "tv" libraries might be sufficient for what you want.
    If I (and my peers here is\n Berkeley) were not so busy right now with
    several deadlines rapidly approaching, I'd be interested in helping you
    at least conduct the experiment to see if the "tv" libraries work for
    you.  Having support for the sort of hybrid programming you describe
    would be interesting to us.  So, I hope you can keep us up-to-date on
    any progress you make.

    I am not certain what you are referring to when you say the IB driver
    only allows one snd/rcv buffer per process.  We support upto
    GASNET_NETWORKDEPTH_PP IB-level operations in flight to a given peer
    (default 64), or GASNET_NETWORKDEPTH_TOTAL operations outstanding total
    (default is computed from HCA resource limits), and will stall waiting
    for at least one outstanding operation to complete when either limit is
    reached.

    -Paul

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352