Re: upc_all_reduce behaviour

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 10:29:14 PDT

    Nikita ,

    The sync flags tell one how soon a thread is PERMITTED to leave from a
    collective operation.  Any implementation is free to be more
    conservative.  As an extreme example it - it would be perfectly legal to
    implement collectives that ignore the sync flags and implement all
    collectives as if passed UPC_IN_ALLSYNC|UPC_OUT_ALLSYNC.  This is true
    of ANY collective - the sync flags BOUNDS when a thread may exit but
    does not DEFINE it.

    If, for instance, the prefix reduction is computed by a Gather of all
    the values to Thread 0, which then does all the arithmetic and sends out
    the results, then one would expect Thread 0 to leave LAST rather than first.

    -Paul