7 Adding New Features
Some simple guidelines for adding new, nontrivial features:
- Add a bugzilla feature enhancement bug for the feature.
- Before working on the new feature, make sure there aren't any existing
user-suggested features in Bugzilla that should be worked on first.
- Always write the user documentation for the new feature
before you write the code. This will allow you to flesh out
any user interaction problems before writing a ton of code.
- Code up the new feature. If the new feature is going to create a lot of
changes spread across different files, create a feature branch using
the standard Subversion branch and merge commands.
- Sufficiently test the the new feature.
- Integrate the new feature and new documentation into the current TRUNK
or release branch of PPW, whichever is appropriate.