Re: 2nd beta preview looking good!

jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 12:21:31 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 11:45:18AM -0400, Marc L. Smith wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > This is not so much a question as it is general feedback.  I just
    > installed the 2nd beta of UPC on my Intel Xeon-based Suse Linux
    > cluster.  The install was smooth, and I'm compiling and running the
    > hello world sample programs from the UPC text.  Looks to be quite
    > solid so far!  No problems, no nuisances...  :-)  I'm using your
    > public translator over http, gcc compiler, running over udp.  Oh
    > heck, I'll just paste the version info below in case anyone's
    > curious... (if anyone notices any concerns with my configuration,
    > please let me know.)

    Thanks for the feedback, Marc.

    I notice that UDP is the default network for your install.  We've
    improved our documentation for how to run UDP-based programs in this
    beta, and UPC executables now provide a helpful message if you try to
    run them over UDP without the right setup (i.e., without telling the
    runtime which hosts to run the job on).

    I remember you were thinking of using UPC for a course you'll be
    teaching.  We'd love to hear how that goes.  Please have have your
    students send us bug reports for any issues they encounter (extra credit
    for each bug reported?)

    Cheers,

    --
    Jason Duell             Future Technologies Group
    <jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov>       Computational Research Division