Re: 2nd beta preview looking good!

From: Marc L. Smith (mlsmith_at_colby_dot_edu)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 14:45:56 PDT

    Hi Jason,

    On Aug 15, 2005, at 4:04 PM, jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov wrote:

    > You could actually have used just
    >
    >   SSH_SERVERS="n1 n2 n3 n4"
    >
    > I.e., the list is per *process* in the job, not per-UPC thread.
    > There's
    > no difference for non-pthreaded jobs, but there is for pthreaded ones.
    >
    > I need to document this.  Thanks for noticing!

    When I set SSH_SERVERS as you recommend, I get a runtime error:

    ~~~
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc> upcc -T 8 helloworld2.upc
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc> upcrun helloworld2
    Not enough machines in environment variable SSH_SERVERS to satisfy
    request for (8).
    Only (4) machines available: n1 n2 n3 n4
    *** AMUDP ERROR: Error spawning SPMD worker threads. Exiting...
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc>
    ~~~

    > Finally, you can use $SSH_SERVERS, but it's deprecated.  $UPC_NODES
    > (or
    > $UPC_NODEFILE) is now preferred.

    When I use UPC_NODES instead of SSH_SERVERS, I encounter the same
    problem.

    I've tried to remember, but can't be certain.  I don't think this is
    a new problem with the beta.  I think this is what occurred before,
    and the reason I added two copies of n1-n4 in my nodes list.

    I went poking around in upcrun.conf -- I may have missed some
    configuration steps when I installed.  Should I have specified:

    default_cpus_per_node = 2
    (currently this is blank)

    and also:

    udp_spawn_nodes = n1 n2 n3 n4