Re: problem with bupc_extern_free

From: Dan Bonachea (bonachea_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 00:54:25 PDT

    Hi Christian - thanks for writing..

    We see two bugs in your attached code (tracked down by our developer Paul
    Hargrove), both of which are probably triggered by poor documentation on our
    part in bupc_extern.h.

    1) bupc_extern_free() has essentially the same semantics as upc_free(), and as
    such should only be called by a single thread per allocation. Ie, in UPC, all
    threads collectively call upc_all_alloc, but only one may call the
    (non-collective) upc_free.  This is one probable cause of the crash.

    2) In the .upc file the code calls bupc_local_to_shared, but ignores the
    return value which provides the restored pointer-to-shared. This leads to an
    overrun (because it uses the local pointer rather than the shared pointer) of
    allocated memory, which is the second probable cause for the crash upon free.

    We've improved our documentation comments in bupc_extern.h, and a new version
    is attached for your convenience.

    Thanks for your patience...
    Dan