Re: About barriers

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 12:32:18 PDT

    Nikita,
      See some answers below.
    -Paul

    Nikita Andreev wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have two question related to barriers.
    >
    > 1. upc_fence ensures that all shared references issued before the
    > fence are completed before any following are issued. How is it
    > actually implemented? Does it work like a barrier or application can
    > continue to execute statements which are not related to shared references?

    A upc_fence() will stall execution of statements in the calling thread
    until completion of all shared references made by the calling thread.  A
    upc_fence() does not have any specified affect on execution of
    statements in other threads, nor does it connect local execution to the
    state of shared references made by other threads.  So, a fence is quite
    different from a barrier which stalls all threads at the wait until all
    threads have executed the notify.

    > 2. In GASP split-phase barrier consists of two events: GASP_UPC_NOTIFY
    > and GASP_UPC_WAIT. How does upc_fence and ordinary barrier appears in
    > trace? There are GASP_UPC_BARRIER and GASP_UPC_FENCE but it turns out
    > that same GASP_UPC_NOTIFY and GASP_UPC_WAIT are being used.

    This I am not sure about.  I would expect that the fence should NOT be
    generating the NOTIFY and WAIT GASP events.  If you have a simple
    example that you are sure is not seeing the GASP events implicit final
    barrier, please share it and we can take a look at it.

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group