QUESTION: as a new UPC user

From: Evi Dube (dube1_at_llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 05 2010 - 10:45:47 PST

    I am just starting to use UPC, so my questions will be on the naive side:

    1. What is the difference between the Berekely UPC Runtime and the
    UPC-to_C Translator - why would I need both of them from a
    developer's view? The manual does not talk about the translator?

    2. I actually think I was able to get the Runtime to build on some
    Linux x86-64 clusters at Livermore using gnu compilers, version
    4.3.2. I could not get the translator to compile, thought. When I run
    a simple hello world program, or the Monte Carlo Pi program, I get
    the following message:

    UPCR: UPC thread 0 of 1 on yana8 (process 0 of 1, pid=23899)

    What does that mean?

    thank you

    evi