Re: Expense of BUPC timer functions

From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 00:48:26 PDT

    Hello, Nikita.

    The fact that you are using a virtual machine is probably not perturbing
    the cost of bupc_ticks_now(), at least not to the extent you report
    seeing. Assuming a modern AMD or Intel CPU, this function is using the
    RDTCS instruction on most OSes, which should be quite cheap.

    The observation that the first call to bupc_ticks_to_ns() is more
    expensive than later calls is to be expected. The first instance parses
    /proc/cpuinfo to get the clock rate and stores the value for reuse in
    subsequent calls.

    Running on a 2.3GHz Intel Xeon E5410 from a Xen Dom0 kernel, the output
    from your attached program is
    Get 1 tick: 33ns. 1 convert: 2ns
    I tried on a Xen HVM DomU running on the same machine:
    Get 1 tick: 34ns. 1 convert: 2ns
    And on a Xen PV DomU on the same machine:
    Get 1 tick: 33ns. 1 convert: 2ns
    So virtualization is probably not a significant factor, at least under Xen

    On an older 2.2GHz Opteron which is not running Xen I see
    Get 1 tick: 6ns. 1 convert: 2ns
    And an old 2.8Ghz Pentium-4 yields
    Get 1 tick: 82ns. 1 convert: 4ns
    So, there can be significant variation among platforms, and I don't know
    if the 33-vs-6 difference is Xen related or not.

    So, I will agree with you that the relative cost of query and conversion
    are not ordered as the documentation suggests.
    However, I can't reproduce the 2384ns query overhead.

    If you can tell me more about the platform you are running on perhaps I
    could understand the extraordinarily high query cost you report.

    -Paul

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352