Re: UPC on Windows

From: Debabrata Midya (Debabrata.Midya_at_services_dot_nsw_dot_gov.au)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2010 - 22:42:41 PDT

    Paul,

    Thank you very much for such a quick response.

    I need your assistance for the followings:

    1. Installation of Cygwin: Select packages to install

    Should I select all packages or there is a list of minimum packages I can select to install to work with The Berkeley UPC compiler.

    2. Source code for Berkeley UPC (under 7MB)

    (from http://upc.lbl.gov/download/source.shtml#runtime)

    Berkeley UPC source downloads

    A. The Berkeley UPC Runtime/front-end package (source distribution):

    Berkeley UPC runtime (and front-end) , Version 2.10.0:berkeley_upc-2.10.0.tar.gz ( http://upc.lbl.gov/download/release/berkeley_upc-2.10.0.tar.gz ) (5.7MB)

    B. The Berkeley UPC-to-C translator (source distribution):

    The Berkeley UPC-to-C translator, version 2.10.0:berkeley_upc_translator-2.10.0.tar.gz ( http://upc.lbl.gov/download/release/berkeley_upc_translator-2.10.0.tar.gz ) ( 6.9MB)

    Should I need to download both A and B?

    3. build from that

    How can I build after completing 1 & 2?

    May I request you to provide me couple of lines as a reference?

    Once again thank you very much for the time you have given.

    Regards,

    Deb

    >>> "Paul H. Hargrove" PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov> 9/04/2010 2:21 pm >> ( mailto:PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov> )
    Debabrata ,

    The Berkeley UPC compiler is mainly written for POSIX-like environments,
    which does not include native Windows XP.
    However, Cygwin is a POSIX-like environment for Windows that is
    sufficient to allow Berkeley UPC (and many other applications written
    for Linux or other Unix) to run.
    Cygwin is a substantial infrastructure and that accounts for the bulk of
    the 1.2GB download.

    If you have already installed Cygwin on your machine then you could
    download just the source code for Berkeley UPC (under 7MB) and build
    from that.

    -Paul

    --
    Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_lbl_dot_gov
    Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352