Re: Installation

jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 12:31:02 PST

    On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:14:18AM -0500, Eric Frederich wrote:

    > Does the user running the UPC program have to have an account with the
    > same user name and password on all of the nodes it will be executed
    > on?

    Yes, unless you've set up ssh to work otherwise (you can set up your
    $HOME/.ssh/config to tell ssh what username to log in as for a given
    machine).

    > You mentioned that I need NFS because every node needs to be able to
    > run the executable. Does this executable just need to be placed in the
    > same location on each machine and could I do this with a samba share?

    Yes, the executable needs to be in the same place on each machine, and
    all of the standard C libraries it needs must also be present.  Also,
    any files that the application opens (input or output data) need to be
    present on all nodes.

    You should be able to do this with a samba share, if you 'mount' the
    share the way you would NFS or any other filesystem (i.e. you add it to
    /etc/fstab as a smbfs-type filesystem, and then 'mount' it).  I don't
    think anyone else has tried it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

    > I am new to parallel processing.

    You should know that UPC is still a fairly "researchy" language, and
    that the vast majority of actual parallel programs in the world are
    written using other systems, such as MPI or OpenMP.  I'm not sure what
    you're aiming to do with UPC, but you might also want to look into those
    methods for parallel programming as well.

    --
    Jason Duell             Future Technologies Group
    <jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov>       Computational Research Division