Re: Dual Processor Machines

jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 10:06:33 PST

    On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Eric Frederich wrote:
    > I plan on doing some benchmarking of various parts of UPC.  My test setup at
    > work consists of about 40 or so Linux workstations each with two Opteron
    > processors.
    > I am wondering what is the best way to run parallel programs on these
    > machines?
    >
    > Should I list each workstation twice in $UPC_NODES or just once?
    > Should I pass -pthreads to upcc to enable pthread support?
    > What aguments should I use with upcrun (-n -nodes -c and -p)?

    Generally, the fastest way to run on a cluster of SMPs is to run 1
    process per machine, using -pthreads.  That way you get shared memory
    between UPC threads that live on the same node.

    So, for a 3-node cluster of 2-way SMPs, try

        upcc -pthreads=2 foo.upc
        export UPC_NODES="node1 node2 node3"
        upcrun -n 6 a.out

    Note that the default value of -pthreads is 2, so it's superfluous here,
    but note the general idea (that you can embed a default number of pthreads
    per process into the UPC executable).  You could also pass '-p 2' to
    upcrun to set the number of pthreads per process at run time.

    There are some issues with using -pthreads that you may run into.  Most
    commonly, some math/science libraries aren't pthread-safe, and will
    break under -pthreads.  See the section "Using pthreaded Berkeley UPC
    programs" in our User's Guide.  If you run into these issues, just use 1
    UPC thread per process:

        upcc foo.upc
        export UPC_NODES="node1 node1 node2 node2 node3 node3"
        upcrun -n 6 a.out

    Cheers,

    --
    Jason Duell             Future Technologies Group
    <jcduell_at_lbl_dot_gov>       Computational Research Division