Re: whirl2c

From: Wei Chen (wychen_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 16:31:26 PST

    Hi Marc,

        When compiling programs with our translator, it's best if you invoke
    it with the "upcc" driver included in our runtime.  Not only does it
    perform the preprocessing and set up the various command line options,
    but it also passes along a configuration file containing architecture
    dependent parameters, and our translator will crash if the file is not
    present.  The generated C code from our whirl2c is also probably not
    going to compile without our runtime headers; one issue for example is
    that we output global variable declarations using macros to support
    pthread environments.  Since all C programs are UPC programs, one thing
    you may want to try is just use upcc to compile your C programs and see
    if that works.  If you do want to invoke the translator directly, you
    can use "upcc -vv" to look at the exact command passed to the
    translator.  Improving the robustness of our translator is an important
    and ongoing goal for us, and we'd be happy to help you get a large piece
    of code to go through our translator/whirl2c.

        As for your second question, we have not made any structural changes
    to WHIRL other than adding a few fields in the symbol table.  All UPC
    specific constructs are represented using existing WHIRL nodes and are
    distinguished by their type information.

    Wei