Error translating "hello UPC world"

From: Marc L. Smith (mlsmith_at_colby_dot_edu)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 10:14:12 PDT

    Hi all,

    I moved on to example 1.2 from the new UPC text, "UPC: Distributed
    Shared Memory Programming," by El-Ghazawi, Carlson, Sterling, and
    Yelick.  This is the first program that includes the <upc.h> header
    file...

    I cat'd in my transcript the .upc file I'm trying to compile, in
    addition to what happens when I compile.  I'm using the public
    translator.  I'm sure I'm missing something, as this is the first
    program I've tried to compile that includes one of the UPC headers.
    If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

    When I use the -stable translator, it yields an error and tells me to
    report it as a bug.  I haven't done so yet, because I may still be
    doing something silly.

    Please advise.

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Transcript:
    ~~~
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc> cat helloworld2.upc
    #include <upc.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    int main()
    {
       printf("Thread %d of %d: hello UPC world\n",
               MYTHREAD, THREADS);

       return 0;
    }

    mlsmith@n1:~/upc> upcc --network udp -o hello -T 4 helloworld2.upc
    Error during remote HTTP translation:
    upcc: error during UPC-to-C translation (sgiupc stage):
    Error: Signal Segmentation fault in phase Writing WHIRL file --
    processing aborted
    sgiupc ERROR:  /usr/local/upc/2.0/translator/compilers/open64/
    osprey1.0/build_ia64/gccfe/gfec died due to signal 4
    ~~~

    Transcript from using -stable translator
    ~~~
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc>
    mlsmith@n1:~/upc> upcc -stable --network udp -o hello -T 4
    helloworld2.upc
    Error during remote HTTP translation:
    upcc: error during UPC-to-C translation (sgiupc stage):
    Error: Signal Segmentation fault in phase Writing WHIRL file --
    processing aborted

    ### Please report this bug at: http://upc-bugs.lbl.gov
    sgiupc ERROR:  /usr/local/upc/stable/translator/compilers/open64/