Re: GASP or other UPC profiler on Seaborg

From: Dan Bonachea (bonachea_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 11:56:08 PST

    At 11:24 AM 11/7/2005, Jonathan L Brown wrote:

    >Dear LBL UPC Users group,
    >
    >Is there a UPC profiler available on Seaborg at NERSC so I can get time in
    >various communication operations, like GASP?

    If you compile with:

       /usr/common/ftg/upc/nightly/32/runtime/inst/bin/upcc -g

    then you can use the upc_trace tool to profile your communication.
    See:
      http://upc.lbl.gov/docs/user/index.html#tracing
    and
      http://upc.lbl.gov/docs/user/upc_trace.html

    Note the -g seaborg build above is a debug/tracing build, which gives you
    tracing but also disables compiler optimization and will negatively impact
    performance (in addition to the tracing overheads). However, it will
    accurately report message counts and sizes (which is often enough to find
    bottlenecks). If you're interesting in more accurate timing information, you
    can rebuild Berkeley UPC, configuring with --enable-trace (without
    --enable-debug) or even just --enable-stats alone to reduce the overhead of
    profiling.

    The install we maintain on seaborg does not have the GASP support enabled
    (need to configure with --enable-profile), but the GASP tools currently
    available are less useful that Berkeley's upc_trace (UFL has just started
    their tool-building efforts, more to come...).

    Dan