Re: Regarding UPC

From: Dan Bonachea (bonachea_at_cs_dot_berkeley_dot_edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 12:10:09 PDT

    Berkeley UPC supports operation on a wide variety of systems (including
    windows) however it does not currently support the use of a heterogenerous
    system to run a given job (beyond minor differences, such as slightly
    differing versions of the same Operating system, or different revisions of an
    x86 chip, etc).

    You're unlikely to find good support for heterogeneity in a shared-memory
    programming environment such as UPC or Global Arrays, because heterogeneity
    and shared-memory programming are somewhat at odds with each other (the system
    would need to somehow deal with issues like endianness conversion and pointer
    width adjustment under the covers). Even if there were such a system, the
    heterogeneity would likely induce non-trivial performance penalties such that
    you might not want to use it. These systems are designed primarily for
    scientific computing, where the standard practice is to use large homogeneous
    systems for reasons of simplicity and performance.

    Please direct further questions regarding Global Arrays to their support
    system:

    Dan